Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

Let me preface you with the information that I am not a professional runner and never ran in high school, I'm pretty pathetic actually. In the past few weeks some races have sort of fallen on my lap:

1. Race For The Cure: I'm a member of the Junior League of Omaha and we have a team running in the race. I had always wanted to run in the Race For The Cure but never had the opportunity. While my family doesn't have history of breast cancer, it's scary. One in 8 women will get this scary disease and after losing an aunt (she married my mom's brother) to the disease, it's hit closer to home. I'm doing this race for her.
2. ALA Corporate Cup: Our dealership group is sponsoring this race and I've been involved with the marketing and planning of this event for the past month and a half . While I won't be running in the 10k (I'll die if I run the whole thing), I decided to run a quick 2 mile, non-competitive route. My grandmother had lung cancer (wasn't a smoker for several years) and so this one is for her :-).



3. Walk for the Animals: I also found out about a Nebraska Humane Society event happening in two weeks. This is a super near and dear to my hear issue plus my little angel can come with. I'm a HUGE animal lover. I don't believe in "buying animals", I believe in adopting one from a shelter. They love you just the same and if you are truly looking to love an animal, they don't need to be purebred. My love, Duke, was rescued from a bad situation in Kansas and was taken in by a loving foster mom who taught him everything he needed to know to get adopted. I couldn't ask for a better dog in my life than him. We believe he's a black lab/border collie mix. He's the smartest little angel ever. My husband and I love the crap out of this babe--
If you are looking for a dog or cat, I recommend Petfinder. It's where we found Duke and they have so many animals looking for a forever home with a loving mom and dad!


5 comments:

Ginger said...

Hi Risa:
You are one brave gal!!! lol. I wish you the best of luck. I think they are all good causes.

Sole Matters said...

Are you taking donations? Also, Duke is SOOO sweet, that face! omg, melt!!

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

That is so great for you to do that! So awesome! You go girl!

Melissa Miller said...

Thank you so much for your advice Risa. You are so right about walking. It's been years since I did any excercise with any real consisitency. I'm pretty embarrassed to admit that. I definitly need to get moving.

I'm so happy you are doing this run! Your are on the right track for life. Great job!

Duke is a sweetie! He looks so healthy and shiny!

Love all of your posts you do on fitness and nutrition. I'll be looking for more.

~Blessings my friend, ~Melissa :)

A Refocused Life said...

First time visit. Enjoyed your blog. Love the dog.