Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chicken Artichoke Marsala

If you follow me you've figured out by now my husband eats like a 5 yr old, I don't like to eat out much during the week, I'm always watching what I eat, I don't like boxed foods and I don't have a lot of time. With that information, I'm always looking for recipes that are nutritious, not too sugary, not artificial, easy and something both B and I can eat! Whew, no one wants to be me now :-(.

One weeknight I really wanted some sort of fancy meal (that's what I call it when I have to actually saute, and create, not just add sauce and mix. B already had a gourmet sandwich from the swanky joint down the street, Arby's, so it was just me for dinner when I found this recipe.

I follow Katie and love several dished I've tried, I just made a few changes since I don't like mushrooms.
Chicken Marsala
adapted from Good Things Catered and Americas Test Kitchen

Ingredients:
  • 1 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5-6 oz ), fat trimmed
  • 1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
  • salt and ground black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 c. chopped canned artichokes
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed
  • 1 tsp tomato paste
  • 3/4 c. Marsala wine
  • 1/2 packet of True Lemon (crystallized lemon) in 1 tbsp water, I was out of lemons.
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1/2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves

Directions:

  1. Pat the chicken breasts dry. Place flour in a shallow baking dish or pie plate.
  2. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
  3. Coat both sides of chicken with flour. Lift the breast from the tapered end and shake to remove excess flour and set aside.
  4. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
  5. Place the floured chicken in a single layer in the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
  6. Using tongs, turn the cutlets and cook on the second side until golden brown and the meat feels firm when pressed with a finger, about 5 min longer).
  7. Transfer chicken to a heated plate and cover.
  8. Return the skillet to low heat and add artichokes.
  9. Saute, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom with a wooden spoon to loosen the browned bits, until the artichokes are lightly browned.
  10. Add the garlic and tomato paste, stirring constantly, until the tomato paste begins to brown, about 1 min.
  11. Off the heat, add the Marsala.-
  12. Return the pan to high heat and simmer vigorously, scraping browned bits from the pan bottom, until the sauce is slightly syrupy and reduced, about 5 min.
  13. Off the heat, add the lemon juice and accumulated juices from the chicken.
  14. Whisk in the butter until incorporated.
  15. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  16. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve immediately.

Note: I like to place the chicken back into the pan and simmer for 1 min, flipping once, before serving to coat chicken in sauce. I also tossed the ziti with it for few moments as well. It turned out very yummy.


5 comments:

Genesis said...

hey, just found your blog recently, and im a total fan!

i feel the same way about food, but once in a while I could use some take out. this recipe actually sounds yummy and easy. ill have to try it one night.

The Tuscan Home said...

Oh my goodness, this looks delicious! I love Chicken Marsala, but have never thought to add artichoke. I must try this recipe. Thanks for sharing! Liz =)

Hailey HRH said...

that looks like a ridiculously long recipe for me - but the outcome looks fantastic!! you are making me hungry

Sarah said...

Great recipe I think I will have to try it out

Heather said...

Oh, wow that really looks and sounds SO good!!! :)